Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Humble Pie Anyone? Anyone?

OK, I'll have some! In fact, I had some last night! Last night was our last game and the other coach served me up 2 slices of some humble pie! Mmmm Mmmmm Good!

The first slice of humble pie came when we were about to begin the game and the other coach came over and asked if he could have prayer with me and my team at center field before the game got started. We had not really done that with any of the previous teams that we played, but that really shouldn't catch me off guard should it? After all we are at the YMCA and I am a fellow Christian! I think it reminded me of why I was really suppose to be out there coaching these young boys. Yes, I wanted to make each child a better soccer player and I wanted them to have fun while learning, but I really should have done a better job with them in leading them to be Christian athletes and help mature them spiritually. My focus should not have been on how many games we had won and by how many goals. It should have been on leading (coaching) through Christian example. Now, I never expressed to the boys that we should go out there and win. I always stressed to them that the main reason we were out there was to have fun. That is true to an extent, but the main reason we do anything is to glorify God. Next time, I will stress that more than anything and I will remember that we should begin each game with prayer. I mean after all, I play on a men's basketball team and we pray before every game! Shouldn't we more so pray before every game with our kids to teach them the value of playing sports with a Christian attitude? Of course! Kudos to the other coach! By the way, he was at least 10 - 15 years younger than me!

As you know I have said that so far the boys' soccer team was undefeated. I shall now emphasize the word WAS. My second slice of humble pie came when his team, who by the way was much smaller (and much faster) beat the socks off of my team. I'm not sure what the score was because I stopped counting when it was like 4-0, but I'm pretty sure it was bad!

Nonetheless, we had a lot of fun and had our awards banquet at Fuddrucker's after the game. Each of the boys got a trophy and had a blast hanging out with each other!

Remember, LIFE IS GOOD!

2 comments:

Mommy Jess said...

I eat that stuff so often, you would think it was my favorite food! (I'm not exactly sure, but I think my temper has something to do with that....)--J.

Terry Johnson said...

Congratulations on a great season - all one loss seasons are successful seasons!

And there's nothing like a Fudd Burger after a bad game.

I'm glad to know that there are young people out there like the coach of the other team. So often we see college age kids portrayed as godless, lawless thugs (or at least that's how they're portrayed here in Atlanta). Yet here's an outstanding young man, that taught us all an important lesson.

I will make sure to follow the example that he (and you) have set - do everything pleasing to God!!