Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Happy Anniversary!

Today is mine and Megan's 8th Wedding Anniversary. We have actually been together for almost 15 years! I think we actually met in late September of 1993.

I was working at Chuck E. Cheese at the time and Megan came in one day to apply for a job. At the time, I think I was actually stocking the salad bar when she came in so my view of her was a little obstructed, but I saw enough of her to know that she was "easy on the eyes". My best friend at the time, Dave, came over and asked me if I saw the girl that just came in. I told him that I didn't really get a good look at her. He said that she was hot! So about 10 minutes went by and she came out of the back after talking with the manager and began to leave. I think Dave stopped her to ask if she got the job and she said that she did. I only saw her walking out of the door this time, so I only saw her from behind, but I still liked what I saw. Dave came over again and proceeded to tell me how hot she was. I told him that I thought I might ask her out and I think he replied with something like ... I saw her first or not if I ask her first. I can't really recall.

Anyways, she started a few days later and I was assigned to train her on her first Saturday doing birthday parties. I think the whole day we made eyes at each other and for the next several weeks we continued to flirt with each other as we would pass by each other. I remember she would walk by and would come up behind her and untie her apron or just give her that look to let her know that I was interested in her. At the time, I had recently gone out with a couple of girls there and so there was a great deal of tension in the air. Nonetheless, I took the next step and asked Megan out on a date. I remember we were standing right in front of the drink machines. Can you believe that Megan told me NO? That's right! She told me that she HAD to go out with her friends that night. I asked her if she really HAD to or was she just blowing me off. We did decide that we would go out the following weekend, but come to find out, she didn't HAVE to go out with friends that night. She already had another date (I'm glad that didn't work out)! So she began our relationship on a lie! Just kidding Megan! I know you were just protecting my feelings (ie. ego)!

So on October 30, 1993, we went out on our very first date. I could probably write for several hours about everything that I remember about our first date, but I won't bore you with our sappy love story! I'll just say that it was the beginning of the rest of our lives together! So we dated for 6 years before we got engaged. I couldn't get her to commit to marriage! Just kidding! It was the other way around. She couldn't get me to commit to marriage. I'll admit, the thought of marriage was a scary thing to me. I knew that she was the one, but I just didn't know if I was quite ready. Also, I wanted her to finish college before we made that commitment. I didn't want her to quit going to college just to get married. Also, as long as she was still living at home, her dad was paying for her college! Call me cheap, but I call it smart!

Then on June 12, 1999, I went over to her house on a Saturday evening. We were grilling out with her parents and her dad and I were outside grilling the meat. That's when I asked for his permission to marry her. I remember being so nervous! He told me that he was so glad that I had waited for her to graduate college and that he was cool with us getting married. I remember telling him that I was glad that he was cool with it, but that if he had said NO, we would still have gotten married. I can't believe I said that, but he simply replied ... I know! Anyways, after dinner, Megan and I went for a walk through her neighborhood as we did often back then. We got back to her house and went on her back porch and talked for a while. Megan was really wanting to get married and started asking me when I thought I would be ready. I had avoided those conversations for so long and I told her that we were just going to have to wait a little longer. She looked so disappointed. Then she was staring out into the backyard and I took that opportunity to kneel down beside her. When she turned around and looked she saw me kneeling down on one knee with a ring in my hand. I said the sappy things that guys say when the propose and asked her to be my bride. She put her hands to her face, cried and we hugged. She never did say yes (she claims she did), but I took her excitement as her saying yes!

Then, 11 months later, on Saturday, May 20, 2000. We took the plunge and got married! We have had so much fun over the years and have grown closer to each other with each passing year. Marriage has been great! I have always dreamed of having my very own family and I am so glad that I have that with Megan. We have Tyler (5) and Ryan (4) and we are so blessed! God has been so good to us! I won't try to paint the picture that our marriage is perfect because marriage is a lot of hard work! We go through those valleys just like every other married couple, but always seem to come out on top!

Megan, thanks so much for 15 wonderful years! I look forward to spending the rest of my life with you! HAPPY ANNIVERSARY! I LOVE YOU SO MUCH!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Happy Anniversary to you, too. I'm really amazed that you remembered so much from way back. I'm sure we will have many more memories to make. I love you. - M

Terry Johnson said...

Happy Anniversary!! It literally seems like yesterday that you got married.

Anonymous said...

Happy Anniversary to you guys. Tomorrow will be 14 for Andy and me. It is truly a work in progress all the time. Stay commited to each other and keep Christ in the center.- S (War Eagle)

Chris said...

SW, Happy Anniversary to you guys, too! Hope you guys have been doing great! Miss ya'll! Tell AW I said HI! ..... ROLL TIDE ROLL!

Mommy Jess said...

Happy Anniversary to our sister from another mister and brother from another mother... That was pretty funny except for the last half- I think I puked a little with the mushy stuff.....I can't wait to see what you 2 are like when you're like 80.