Thursday, October 2, 2008

A Husband and His Wife

This morning I was up at 5 AM so I could get ready to go to Bible study at 6 AM at Grace Church. That's right, 5 AM!!! For those of you that know me - that's hard to believe, but I managed to get up and get ready and actually get there EARLY. I know, another hard thing to believe!!! My family is not known for being early, much less even on time!

Anyway, we have been visiting Grace for about a month now and the men's group started a new 8 week Bible study this morning entitled "A Man and His Wife". You know, it's the type of Bible study that helps you to be a better husband, a more godly husband. I really don't need this study because I've got it all figured out. Actually, I should be teaching this study! Yeah, right! Now you can chuckle because you know I am only kidding! I am actually looking quite forward to this study and recognize that I need to be a better husband - a more godly husband! I'm not expecting this study to be some type of magic wand where when it is over my husbandry skills will be through the roof, but I do hope and pray that God speaks to me and BEGINS a work in me that is evident to my wife and kids!

This morning we spent an hour an a half talking through the first 3 chapters of Genesis and the fall of man. What does the fall of man have to do with being a good husband? Apparently, lots! When God gave the instructions not to eat of the tree, He was talking to Adam and only Adam. Eve had not been created yet. So when Eve was created, it was Adams sole responsibility to make sure that Eve knew of God's command and the importance of that command. We all know the story. Apparently, Adam didn't do such a great job. The serpent (Satan) influenced Eve who in turn influenced Adam to go against God's command. Adam then started playing the "blame game" and went so far as to blame God and the woman that God gave him. The nerve! Once the blame game was over and Adam knew that he was wrong, he hid from God and became a professional hider! He became passive in his mistakes instead of "manning up"!

Guys, we are just like Adam! We sometimes hide in the eyes of adversity and become these passive little wimps instead of "manning up". We are responsible for our wives and children and we are to lead our families spiritually. Pull your report card out and grade yourself real quick. OUCH! Yeah, it hit me right between the eyes, too! It is in our nature to want to take care of our families and we often do so in the areas of being a provider and authoritarian, etc., but we as men are being way too passive in leading our families spiritually! Why is that? Fear? Complacency? Passing the buck? Blame game? Many other excuses, I know! I also know that I have A LOT of work to do in this area and am praying that God gives me all that I need to do just that!

I hope and pray that God works in all of our lives and in all of our marriages so that they can be all that God intended for them to be!

1 comment:

Terry Johnson said...

That's a great lesson! Please keep sharing these, as I want to be the Godliest husband I can be.