Tuesday, August 19, 2008

First Day of 1st Grade

Today was Tyler's first day of school! I can't believe how much he has grown over the past year. Not just physically, but maturity as well. Don't get me wrong, he still acts like a 6 year old, but it is amazing the difference between age 5 and age 6.

Last night we went to the open house at his school to meet his new teacher. Tyler was so excited. As soon as we got out of the car he kinda arched his shoulders back and started walking taller and more confident. He wanted to lead us into the school because he said he knew exactly where to go. He looked so big! His teacher is Mr. Galliland. After meeting him I think he will be a great teacher and good for Tyler. I have heard great things about him (even though he is a South Carolina fan). Anyway, we were the first parents to show up in his class last night. As each new student started to show up in the class, Tyler would greet them as they came in and would help each of them find their chairs and stuff. He was the Welcome Wagon!

So, this morning we were on our way to the school and I told Tyler that I would be walking him into the school. He told me that I didn't have to because he was in 1st grade and that he could go in by himself. I told him that I had to go in anyway because I had to go the cafeteria to put money into his lunch account. He then asked if that was something that he could take care of. I got the feeling that he didn't want me going in with him. Despite his wishes, I went in with him anyway. After all, how often is it that he starts first grade? Well, hopefully once!

Ryan has handled all of this very well. He is ready to go to "big" school, but I don't think that he quite understands that it will be another year before he starts. Last night, he walked into the school just as tall as Tyler did. I mean his big brother was starting 1st grade and I think Ryan thought that was a very cool thing. It will be "fun" when Ryan finally does start school. Right? Somebody convince me, please!

So with the first day of 1st grade out of the way, the next big date on my radar is August 30th (11 days). We got news this past Sunday that we finally have confirmation that we have tickets to the Alabama vs. Clemson game in Atlanta! Whoo-hoo! Pray for me! I will be sitting in the Clemson section with my wife and our best friends who are all Clemson fans! Look for me on TV. I'll be the one wearing the lone crimson shirt (and houndstooth hat) in the middle of a sea of orange and white shirts (and overalls). That shouldn't stop me from hootin' and hollerin' though.

ROLL TIDE!

1 comment:

Mommy Jess said...

Another hint that may help people find you on TV is that you will be one of the few Alabama fans that still has their teeth....Hee-hee, I cannot WAIT for this game. You had better pray that Clemson loses, or it is going to be one tough ride home for you, suckah!