Monday, August 25, 2008

5 Days To Go


Well, it looks as if all of the experts aren't giving Alabama much of a chance against Clemson. That includes the many "experts" on http://www.cbssportsline.com/ and http://www.cfn.scout.com/ just to name a couple. There are many other sites with "expert picks" that all have picked Clemson, but I did find one expert that has picked Alabama to win. That one expert is Clucko the Chicken on http://www.cfn.scout.com/. Here's how the predictions for Clucko the Chicken are made. Put down two feed dishes, one representing one team and one representing another and whichever dish the chicken goes to first is the team that's going to win (really, the pick is a coin flip). Don't laugh, "Clucko" won the 2000 Bowl Pool among 24.

You know, I can actually see why all of the experts have picked Clemson to win. On paper, they are loaded and have lots of depth. I don't think that their offensive line is as bad as everyone is saying it is. These are very talented college players and I know that Clemson will be ready to play. An interesting fact that was just released today is that Alabama will be starting up to 10 freshmen for this game! Are you serious? Yes, I am dead serious. Half of our starters will be freshmen. Another reason for the experts to pick Clemson to win. Alabama is also on their 3rd offensive coordinator in as many years. This doesn't bode well for our QB, John Parker Wilson, but JPW is a very talented kid and has done well with the previous 2 offensive coordinators. If he can minimize his mistakes, we should at least be in the game. But, here's my thoughts (What you didn't ask for them? Well, here they are anyway). Yes, Clemson (on paper) should win this game hands down and all of the experts have rightly picked them to win, but the game still has to be played. Alabama had a dismal 7-6 record last year, but they didn't lose any of those 6 games by more than one possession (3-7 points). Hopefully, this year the Tide will turn! It begins on August 30th and I will be there!

Fortunately, this is a non-conference game and the outcome of this game won't kill either team. Hopefully, the outcome of this game won't kill my marriage! I'm only kidding Boo! You know I will love you through your loss! I mean, you know I will love you no matter what happens! After all, it's only football. Did I just say that? In the words of Dolly Parton and Whitney Houston (clean Whitney), I will always love you!

As I've said before, I am first and foremost an Alabama fan and 2nd a Clemson fan (by marriage). In fact, we have both flags waving on the front of our house! I hope it's at least a close game and a very exciting one at that! So in the spirit of college football and my loyalties ..... ROLL TIDE ROLL! In the spirit of keeping my marriage a happy one ..... ROLL TIDE ROLL! and GO TIGERS!

3 comments:

Terry Johnson said...

The game will turn on who wins the battle up front. Alabama might be young on the defensive line - but Clemson is young on the offensive line - especially at OT which the most important position. Coach Saban has always had strong defenses (including when he was HC at Toledo), and I don't think this year will be any exception.

And speaking of those freshmen, one of them is a guy named Julio Jones. This is one of the most talented players that you will ever see. Look for the Tide to get the ball in his hands any way that they can.

In short, if this is a low scoring game (which would mean the Tide D-Line dominates), Alabama will win. If it turns into a track meet (which means the Tiger O-Line does well), Clemson will win, as they clearly have the better offense.

I won't be at the Dome - but I'll watch for you on TV!!

Mommy Jess said...

Boy, you need to quit bein' so down on yo' team before the game even begins!! Part of being a fan is talkin' like your team could kick all the other team's arses even if y'all are ranked like 800th. Have some faith in your Bama boys! But, when we are in the car and almost to Atlanta, don't be surprised if I play the theme music from "Jaws" for you.....

Chris said...

I'm not being down on my team, I'm just giving an honest assessment of the game! That doesn't mean that I don't want them to beat the pants off of the Tigers!